Saturday 6 June 2015

The Garden List

Since moving to this house in Jan 14, I have been obsessed with the garden. It was a bomb site when we got here. The bottom had been used to dump rubbish, smash glass and burn things. We found all sorts (and still are) like cutlery, a tv, bones, toys and scraps of metal. It's only when I think back to when we moved in that I realised how much I've achieved in the last 18 months considering I've also had a baby and surgery!
Everyone has something they love to do to escape for a while. It could be reading, crafting, shopping or going out with mates. Since being on my own, escaping the house is much harder so I have been escaping to the garden at every chance I get! It's as good as therapy for me. The warm breeze, the shhh of wind in the trees, the birds singing and my girl silently following me and panting in the sun. My own patch of heaven.

I thought I would share my plans for the rest of my garden. I will post about how I'm getting on in a few weeks.


This is the corner of the yurt garden. I am building a rockery in the corner. My sister has a mould for an Indian Budda so I'm hoping to make one to put on the top of my rockery.
I have started planting a few flowers for bees and butterflies but this is mainly going to be seeded with wild and meadow flowers.


This is the back view of the shed. I want to paint it with a sunny sky and lots of flowers to brighten it up a bit. I also want to level the ground out so that it is flat for a bench or barbecue. I might use paving stones or concrete it, I'm not sure yet.

 

This is the path down the side of the shed. It is very uneven as a lot of soil and clay was dumped here when we put the fence up. I want to level it out and decorate it with stones and agate slices to make a pattern. 
I have some cobble stones and thought I could ask everyone who comes round to decorate a stone to put in the path. I may also paint this wall a bright colour and put some solar lights up so it can be used safely at night. 


This is a very lumpy area of the yurt garden. I have recently cut the grass and really need to level it over so I can used the lawn mower in here too. In the shade is a bench and table (not that you can see them!) It is naturally sheltered from the elements and a great place to sit and think. I might continue the border a bit further down to add some colour to the corner. This would be a good place to put some of the lavender I have been growing so you can smell it from the bench.


This is the butterfly garden. All the plants in here are beneficial to butterflies and other insects. I have totally misjudged how much space these plants required so they are all on top of each other. Consequently, some will need replanting elsewhere in the garden or I may extend the boarder so they can stay in that location as it seems to suit them all.


Unfortunately, my yurt has suffered at the hands of my boys and sustained several broken limbs. With a lot of research and help, I want to build a new frame before the winter. I am not sure the frame will withstand another windy winter like last year!


This is my front garden or dandelion patch. Ive had a bumper crop this year! Ideally, I want to put a fence up behind the shrub to help prevent things finding their way into our garden. I also want to take down the tree in the corner as it is sending tubers all over the garden. They grow so fast it looks like a jungle by the end of the summer! That means digging the whole area over to get the roots and tubers out.
I want to keep the plants that are growing there so I will have to be careful putting the fence up so they don't get damaged. I have also been thinking about planting lavender under the window so the scent comes in the house when the windows are open.

So,  there's my list. I love every minute I am out there as I can see my plans slowly taking shape. It is very rewarding. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment as I would love any help or advice, thanks!


You Baby Me Mummy

3 comments:

  1. It can take years to lick a garden into shape but you're doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I try to do at least one thing every day (even if it's only clearing up after the dog!) It helps keep me focused and stops me getting frustrated if I haven't done much.
      It will take a long time to establish though, I totally agree xx

      Delete
  2. We need to tidy ours up! Good work so far! Thanks so much for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!